Saturday, September 18, 2010

About the Picture

The picture above is a 6Al-4V Titanium Alexis T1. This was the very first T1. Notice there is no movement or hands! The strap is from my friend Seth of Strap Culture. Here is Seth; http://www.strapculture.com/ Its a prototype too. Seth was working with a new leather, as well as the nice bright blue thread. This case drove me crazy due to the fact that I broke a 2/56 tap while cutting the threads for the strap retainer screws, also made of aerospace grade titanium. The tapping went well, but I hit the tap holder with my elbow while I was turning around to reach for another tool. Shi@#&!!! Well I thought the case was ruined. Several hours worth of work down the tubes. After a break, I came up with this idea... dissolve the tap! .....You see, a cutting tool, in this case a tap, is made of high carbon steel. Which means it is very susceptible to corrosion.... Acid. Yes a acid should work! After a couple of days of soaking in Sulfuric Acid.. (no the wife was not happy..) the broken bit of tap was gone. Feewooo! The super rare T1 titanium case was saved!

No comments:

Post a Comment